Colleen Ferg Helmlinger
Colleen Ferg Helmlinger is an esteemed member of the local legal community who has served, or serves currently on a variety of boards, memberships and committees for charities and professional organizations.
She is described by clients and colleagues as being a very engaged and communicative attorney who is adept at finding solutions to problems on behalf of those she serves.
She concentrates her practice in corporate mergers and acquisitions, real estate acquisition and development, commercial law, and non-profit organizations. She represents clients in business formations, preparation of MBE certification applications, corporate cleanup, maintenance, and transactional work, trademark filings, commercial financing for lenders or borrowers, preparation of tax exempt applications for non-profit organizations. Colleen’s practice involves considerable emphasis on representation of entrepreneurs and existing small businesses including buy-sell agreements for businesses consistent with estate planning documents of its individual owners.
She is a former chair for the Pro-Bono Committee for the Harford County Bar Association, current co-chair and speaker of the CLE Committee of the Harford County Bar Association, a former board member for the Habitat for Humanity Susquehanna, Inc., a former board member for Harford Family House, Inc. and a member of the Chesapeake Professional Women’s Network and the Women’s Giving Circle of Harford County. She most-recently served as Co-Chair of the Legislative Committee for the Harford County Chamber of Commerce. Colleen also volunteers as a speaker and mentor for The Ground Floor, counseling entrepreneurs as well as a guest speaker for Harford County Economic Development Advisory Board (EDAB), the Harford County Housing Agency and the Harford County Office of Aging.
Outside of work, she can frequently be found at fundraisers and other events supporting the local organizations she is passionate about. She and her husband, Walt are big fans of the Ravens, the Orioles, Terps and Washington Capitals, and frequently attends musical concerts along with their adult children.
Mrs. Helmlinger is a shareholder of Snee, Lutche, Helmlinger & Spielberger, P.A.
PRACTICE AREA & AREAS OF FOCUS
- Business Law
- Real Estate
- Commercial Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Estate Planning
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of Baltimore, B.A., Jurisprudence, magna cum laude, 1986
- Villa Julie College, A.A., Paralegal Studies, Dean’s List, 1984
- The Catholic High School of Baltimore, 1982
- Admitted to practice before Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1992
- Admitted to practice before United States Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1992
- Admitted to practice before United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1993
- Admitted to practice before United States Supreme Court, 1996
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Harford County Bar Association
- Legal Elite Readers Pick Top Local Attorneys, Baltimore Smart CEO, November 2009
- Villa Julie College
- Dean’s List, 1982, 1983, 1984
- Math Tutor, 1982-1984
- University of Baltimore
- Dean’s list, 1984, 1985, 1986
- Alpha Chi Honor Society, 1984-1986
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- CLE Presentation on Nuts & Bolts of Starting a New Business presented by Harford County Bar Association, May 2019
- Harford County Chamber Legislative Committee, Co-Chair, 2015 - 2018, Member 2015 – Present
- Guest Attorney speaker at B.A.I.L.
(Banker, Accountant, Insurance & Lawyer Presentation at The Ground Floor for EDAB)
- Women’s Giving Circle of Harford County, 2013 – Present
- Chesapeake Professional Women’s Network, 2008 – Present
- St. Margaret’s, Parishioner, 1995 – Present
- University of Baltimore Alumni Association, Board of Governors, 1997- Present
- University of Baltimore School of Law Alumni Association, 1992 - Present
- Harford Family House, Inc., Board Member 2013-2016
- Habitat for Humanity Susquehanna, Inc., Board Member, 2010-2016
- Guest speaker at SBDC at Harford Community College & Cecil Community College
- Harford County Bar Association, Pro Bono Committee, Former Chair
- The ARC Northern Chesapeake, former Board member of Foundation Board of Directors
- Home Partnership, former Board Member
- Rockfield Manor, former Board Member
- United Way of Harford County, former Board Member
- University of Baltimore Alumni Association Law Liaison Committee, Co-Chair, 1999-2000